Contact Me!

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Dress Cut Outs?

It has been a while hasn't it? I find apologizing unfitting when I've seen bloggers post only once like every week and honestly I feel like I need to be apologizing to myself. Yep, you heard that right, to myself.
Why?

Well, not only do I feel like I haven't accomplished anything, but I also feel like I could of done WAY better. If there's one thing I'm proud of is the fact that the reason I was so busy was because I've been tired of wearing some darn heels all day. I know, terrible excuse and many girls do it on the daily, but I don't. Reason for having to be dressed all fancy was to receive my Culinary Arts medal and my Top 25% of the class rope to wear at graduation.

I felt miserable at the same time though. I'm used to being at the top, I failed in a lot of stuff in my high school years that I hope I can fix in college. Even though to be honest half the people who were above me copy off my paper on the daily. Like, really? You ask me the dumbest questions and you don't know how to do anything but your cheating skills got you up there? Wow. You should be so proud.

Anyways... TO THE DIY!

I have this dress I got on sale at JcPenny's at around Christmas time that I have NEVER worn. Never. I thought that should change this summer so I decided to refashion my clothes and hopefully I can keep up and do one each week. This dress had cost me $6...seriously. My only problem was that it was so plain and the design was throughout the whole dress and I don't like that. I feel like one of those Christmas presents that have a little character in the same pose and background throughout the whole packaging. Ugh, I hate it.


My smile is more like trying not to laugh.
(still not used to taking pics for blog)

It's green by the way, just stating the fact that my lighting sucks. This dress would be so cute if it was fitted correctly and had a little break from the pattern. The neckline is pretty low and the pencil height of the dress just makes it obvious I'm not meant for long dresses. I love how the fabric feels so I decided to do cutouts to take away from the pattern and add a pop to it. It was my first time so bare with me! 

I thought a little bit of it had to be taking away so I went ahead and searched for inspiration in order to continue with this project. My inspiration was to make some cutouts along the bottom to show a little more leg, give it a sexier but not slutty look. ;) I believe cutouts can be classy too.
I started by cutting off triangles along side each other backwards to make an Aztec type figure. It took some time but it was worth it. 
Side note: It's frustrating to forget what side triangle is next.


My inspiration (that neckline though)
Cutting through! (Time consuming with errors!)
I loved how the bottom looked and I only ended up doing the front because I got lazy, oh and I don't like my butt to be uncovered so I left it alone at the back so my bum has more protection. *sigh* Problems of being self conscious. There's only one small problem...

Final product! (still simple though)
The dress is still pretty plain and calls too much attention to the pattern, what should I do? Tell me, oh wise and fellow human beings. Your help would benefit and help my creativity grow as fast as I wish my hair would grow! My idea is I want to take a section out of the neckline or waist area, nothing big but noticeable. Hope you enjoyed some of my creativity, I kind of just did this on a whim. Crazy right?

 I know I am.




4 comments:

  1. For your first time it was pretty impressing. I like the dress but you could have had the pattern just on the top and a plain black or that green for the bottom with the pattern so that the bottom cut would show. It was just a suggestion though I still like it.:) By the way would you check out my blog too it is www.higherabode.blogspot.com Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was too scared to do anything else in fear that I would ruin the dress! I will take your suggestion for when I'm more experienced, it sounds like a really good idea! I'm glad you liked it! :) I'll check it out, never know when you find something you love.

      Delete
  2. I like what you have done with your dress. What I would say is choose a waist cut out that you like, and try it on the dress. If it does not work, then you can always sew a fabric/pattern on the inside of the dress, which will also break up the pattern without showing any skin. Also, maybe extend the triangles up 1 or 2 more rows, it will make it more noticeable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will attempt to search a cutout that will fit the bottom one and if it doesn't work I'll definitely try your idea of adding fabric to the inside of the dress, maybe lace? I was thinking something similar since it wasn't really showing in pictures. I shall extend the triangles and let them take over! (not entirely.)

      Delete